— Send us email if you have an update on any personalities from Puget Sound radio/TV. Thank you for your participation!

DJ No Name was host of the Afternoon Experience at KNDD, “The End”. His real name, Bob Van Dyne.
His first radio exposure was on Green River College’s KGRG. Liking the taste of radio, he applied at stations across the country, but accepted a “modulator” job at The End. (KNDD Modulators do promotions, like passing out stickers.) Eventually, he slipped a resume in the station manager’s in-box and got a Sunday morning shift. That grew to a daily midday show.
Always interested in live events, DJ began open-mic appearances away from the station. DJ No Name established his funny comments between grunge and heavy metal. But he tripped over Al Yankovich. An Entercom executive and DJ himself apologized over material aired after a 2006 Amish schoolhouse shooting. Soon, he was replaced by a syndicated music-interaction feature from Montana.
Once done with “corporation-owned alt.rock radio” DJ promoted his own on-stage program for Main Stage and developed mixtapes. He did return to radio for vacation work in 2008. When last heard of, he was on an advisory board at Green River.
DJ No Name turned out to be a difficult name off air. Was it No Name or noname? Was he related to the East Coast fellow, DJ With No Name?
“Myreal name is Bob and the boss guy, Phil Manning, thought Bob was way too vanilla for a station as “cutting edge” as The End. DJ Noname was our compromise. Had I known I was going to be on the station for years, I would have picked my name more carefully.” (VOS2012)

Dakota Williams [KAYO]

Dale Goode KRKO, KOMO

Dale Hubbard is president of Olympic Broadcast and Media, operator of KMAS 1030, Shelton, and other stations. And he’s not above doing the midday airshift on his own station’s year-old shift to the news-talk format. Hubbard once manned the midnight shift at top-40 KTAC, Tacoma. (VOS2013)

Dale Owens -deceased

Dale Parsons

Dale Pederson – Roger Dale Pederson who for more than 20 years was simply known as “Roger Dale” on the KITI morning radio show, died March 25, 2010 due to complications from cancer. He was 63.

Dale Roberts on the air @ KZOK

Bruce Dale Sommers, better known as “The Truckin Bozo,” died August 2012 in a Florida hospice. Sommers was 68. Truckinginfo.com reports Sommers moved to Cincinnati with his family at age 15 and started working at WAEF-AM a year later, in 1959. After radio jobs in Indianapolis, Seattle, San Diego, Miami and Kansas City, he returned to Cincinnati in 1984 to do the overnight show as “The Truckin’ Bozo” for 20 years on WLW-AM. “The Truckin’ Bozo” made national news twice at WLW-AM helping solve crimes.

Dale Starkey – spent his first four years as a disk jockey at WGTO, Haines City, Ia. but he had CBS network experience in the 1940s, He worked briefly at KGA, Spokane (1950), KJR, Seattle (1960), followed by stations in San Francisco and Hollywood.

He’s been a singer, writer, broadcast instructor, a musician in the Tommy Dorsey Orchestra. In 2006 he lived in Citrus Heights, CA. doing occasion commercial spots.

Damien [Michael Stein] – Moved to Seattle in 1980, and got a degree (in Communications and Journalism) at the University of Washington. While there, Michael was on-air at KCMU, the predecessor to KEXP. Also helped start and host ‘Audioasis’, a local music/ performance show there…and it’s still on the air today! KYYX-FM, Seattle was his first full-time radio job. Using the name ‘Damien’, Michael did the afternoon show (with news-partner Debbie Paine) up ’til about mid-1984, when the station got sold and changed format. Then, did nights for a couple years at ‘K-Plus FM’…which is now ‘Star 101.5’. Michael did promotion for Geffen Records in the mid-late ’80s, Polydor Records in the early ’90s. Now doing voiceover work.

Damon Huard - mugDamon Huard took his quarterbacking skills from Puyallup High School to the University of Washington and eventually to 12 seasons in the NFL. In 2010 he took his football insight, including two Super Bowl rings, to the KOMO radio booth adding color commentary alongside long-time Husky voice Bob Rondeau.
Huard was a three-year starter for the Huskies. He went on to play 12 seasons in the NFL with Miami, New England and Kansas City. With the Patriots, he won two Super Bowl rings as a backup to Tom Brady.
In addition to his radio duties, he has also acted as the UW football program’s chief administrative officer focusing on player development and professional growth and he has been a fundraiser for the football program and university.
Damon and brother Brock became the first brothers to start at quarterback in the NFL on the same weekend – Nov. 26, 2000. Damon started for the Miami Dolphins against the Indianapolis Colts while Brock started for the Seahawks against the Denver Broncos. (CHBCenter, 2014)

Damon Stuart [Stewart]

Dana Rebik [Q13 News]

Dan Bartolovic – Skagit Valley radio icon Dan Bartolovic died in Anacortes January 19th, 2006 at the age of 60. Danny B hosted the KAPS AM 660 Mount Vernon morning show from 1989 to 2001, was program director, handled sports play-by-play, was track announcer at Skagit Speedway and public address announcer for the Bellingham Mariners and Tacoma Tigers baseball teams. [NWBroadcasters]

Dan Foley DJ KING AM

Dan Hemingway – (Ken Sasso) passed away in 2004

Dan Lewis retired from the KOMO 4 News anchor desk in 2014, after 27 years. For most of that time, his co-anchors were Kathi Goertzen and Steve Pool/weather.

Dan Murphy Dan Murphy worked weekends at KMPS; KIXI

Dan Niles – DJ at KTIX in the late 1950s

Dan Packard – Operates the Portland Radio Guide http://pdxradio.com/Home.html

Dan Pounder – a sales associate at Sam’s Club

Dan Roberts evening DJ at 95.7 KJR FM, also the voice for several cartoon characters, including Scott Adams’ Dilbert comic strip character. Moved on to KZZU-Spokane.

Dan Shannon Program director at KING radio in the mid 1960s.

Dan Springer, originally from Woodinville, joined Fox News Channel (FNC) in August 2001 as a Seattle-based correspondent.

Dan Wilke let go from KISW in Nov 2002

Dan Williams real name: Walt Bjerke worked at Kountry KAYO 1150, in Seattle from 1963 to 1979. From there he moved to Eugene, OR to work at KEED AM until 1997.. Later, worked at a station in Florence, OR. Dan Williams worked as “Montana Fat” Walt Bjerke (get it?) playing C & W at KLAN. Dan told me that the day KAYO hired him to start that very night, he was listening later when somebody announced on the air that a new deejay named Dan Williams was starting that night. He found a phone and called program director Chris Lane and said, “What the hell’s the big idea? You told me I had that job, you son of a bitch!”, to which Chris replied, “You do, Dan.” (Dick Ellingson) He passed away due to cancer in 1999.

“Dana Deardon & The Kiss Boys” was the morning show on KBKS from March 1996 to May 1997, Dana then teamed with Chris Collins, to February 2000.
Previously she was afternoons and then midday at KLSY.

Dana Middleton was last reported as resigning as communications director for Gov. Gary Locke in Dec. 2001

Dancin’ Danny Wright – DJ at KNBQ FM & KJR; fired from Dial Global in 2008 and retired

Daniel Weatherhogg KQMV Music Director left the station September 2012 after 6 years. Now, Program Coordinator at Sandusky Radio Seattle Inc.

Danny Holiday was born Daniel Thygesen in Everett, but he made a name for himself starting at his first job at KPUG, Bellingham. In 1966 he was part of the stellar rock and roll lineup at KOL and became program director of KSND 1590, as it became “Superstar Radio” KUUU in 1968. He loved his music and kept meticulous notes, soon becoming rock’s best Seattle historian, and always current on local groups including Paul Revere and The Kingsmen. He had brief exposure at KJRB, Spokane, KTAC and KING-AM. For a time he was a record-promoter for A&M Records. He was also known to get up and sing at major concert performances. When he returned to radio, he developed an oldies segment at KZOK-FM. At oldies KBSG he started a Friday-night program “Rock and Roll Time Machine,” which ran for eight years. After a long absence, his last gig was as a volunteer-host at KSER, Everett, continuing his “Rock and Roll Time Machine.” Because of a continuing illness he announced his retirement in 2012, counting up 41 years in the business. He died in February, 2012, (VOS2012)

Darryl Despie one of the first jocks at KOL-FM worked at KOL FM from 1970-72. In 1975 he was a radio personality at the Circus Circus 2060 15th Ave. W. in Seattle.

Daryl Webster is Sr. Director, Customer Support, at Med Assets in the Dallas/Fort Worth area

DaveAllenDave Allen (Daryle Sauve) never worked in his parents apple orchard in Yakima Valley, preferring to hang around radio stations instead. He got a morning shift at KWYZ, Everett — “paid in experience only.” When he mustered out of the Air Force, he parlayed that brief KWYZ experience into jobs in and around Seattle, including KING-AM, (adopting the name Dave Allen), KMO, KVI, and all-nights at KOL and later KGAA and KBES, Bellevue, (where he was Morgan in the Morning). Dave Allen worked part-time at KMPS-AM at its beginning. His best times were at “Rosellini’s 410” a media bar, sitting with other deejays cracking jokes He jumped from one Skagit County station to another. By 1970 he returned to Yakima Valley. He moved in and out of the voice-over business. He had one son. He was single when he died of cancer in December, 1999, age 60. (VOS2012)

Dave Ballard – DJ at KIRO and KIXI – deceased

Dave Benson – Former Seattle market The Mountain KMTT-FM 103.7 program director Dave Benson has joined WNRN-FM 91.9 Charlottesville VA as PD and GM [November 2012]. He left The Mountain in June 2011 after two years.

Dave Christensen – KBCS FM, KCMU FM, KING AM & KGW in the ’70s, KTAC AM & KING AM/FM in the ’80s, and KING AM/FM in the 90’s until I left the biz.

Dave Clarke (Bliss Clarke Sutphin) — KJR, KVI

Dave Day – [KUUU] moved to California, home territory and sister station KLOK

Dave DeSoto – Newsman at KQDE, KVI, KMPC (Los Angeles). Deceased (6/27/2001)

Dave Dolacky last worked for KIRO and now appears on Seattle Radio Theater productions

Dave-GrosbyDave Grosby is the co-host of “Bob and Groz” on KIRO 710. The Groz has spent the last 21 years of his 39-year broadcast career as a Seattle sports talk show host. Dave is also the play-by-play announcer for Seattle U basketball on KTTH 770. Before coming to Seattle, Dave worked at KFI in Los Angeles and KFBK in Sacramento. He’s been married to his wife Bonnie for 23 years. On Twitter @thegroz Facebook at BobabdGrozShow

Dave Drui….started in radio in 1973 in Bellevue as a jock at KBES AM and FM, moved to KIRO AM as the all night announcer and later became a news anchor when it changed to newsradio. Worked at KUUU voice tracking mornings and then left radio to be J.P. Patches’ floor director at KIRO TV which included script writing and acting. In Los Angeles got into radio management at KBRT and later was a news anchor for the Financial Broadcasting Radio Network. Worked in radio production at KFAX in San Francisco and is currently the program director for KKOL KLFE and KGNW where he’s also the morning host.

Dave Henderson (newsman) former Mariner worked Mariner baseball games as a color commentator in the past

Dave Henderson — (not the former Mariner) — Dave was a newsman at KVI in the 1970s before moving to Golden West’s KSFO (San Francisco).

Dave Keefer – Worked at KYSN East Wenatchee. Now, Dave is now program director and mid-day dj on KQBG in Wenatchee. He is also owner of Jazz Stream Records.

Dave Langley – Newsman at KAYO and KIXI

Dave McCormick was program director and morning disk jockey at KOL in 1966. Previously he had worked at CFUN, Vancouver, ten years at KYNO, Fresno and helped launch top-40 KHJ, Los Angeles, in 1967.
Under Dave, KOL was akin to a Drake-type format, complete with Johnny Mann jingles.
Dave had a gigantic collection of 45 rpm. records, which he started assembling at age 5 in his hometown, Hamilton, Ontario. At age 15 he was pulling an eight hour shift at a Hamilton radio station, well before the rock ‘n’ roll era. (VOS2014)/font>

Dave Newton was General Manager of News-Talk KTW AM and KZOK FM [1974]

Dave Ross – KIRO FM anchor/talkshow host. Contributor to CBS Radio News special features.

Dave Perry – [KMO/1963] left radio in 2004 and is concentrating on voice work

Dave Ross – CBS radio commentator/KIRO talk show host

Dave Ryan [Dave Sawyer] [KBRO, KIXI]

Dave Scott left KINK/Portland in June 2015

Dave Sloan

Dave Smith [KING 1090 News]

Dave Stone was newsman at KIRO-AM from 1971 through 1993. His best exposure was when KIRO introduced a morning news block in 1974 and followed up with an all-news format — Stone teamed with former all-night music jock Bill Yeend.
Stone’s first fulltime radio job was in 1957 in Hermiston, OR, then in Orofino, Idaho.
“I joined KLIQ, Portland, to work with Bob McAnulty,” Stone said. “After leaving there, I was at KOIN, Portland. Three years later, KGW-AM, then KREM-AM-FM-TV.”
He moved to KING-AM, Seattle, for one year, then to “classical” KISW, but carried through as classical became rock.. Finally he moved to KIRO-AM-FM for his long stay.
“Since retiring I’ve stayed in Seattle. I live in Magnolia,” Stone said.
(Not related to the Portland disk jockey Dave Stone. Not related to the San Diego disk jockey Dave Stone . Not related to “The Laughing Devil” New York comedian Dave Stone. Not related to the Atlanta/New York disk jockey Dave Stone. Not related to touring guitarist Dave Stone. Not related to the 1975 KOL disk jockey Dave Stone.) (VOS2012)

Dave Stone was imported from KOIL, Omaha, to be KOL’s afternoon disk jockey in 1975.

Originally from New York, Dave Wingert delivered consistent No.1 ratings in middays on Seattle’s 92.5 KLSY for many years before hosting a syndicated all-nite program for night-owls, “Dave ’til Dawn” from the KLSY studios. KLSY was also the home for the syndicated “Delilah” radio show. After leaving KLSY, Wingert went back East to Omaha. Wingert worked at KGOR Omaha until an on-air conversation got a little nasty. Wingert was fired from KGOR/Omaha in October 2011. “Dave Wingert, morning DJ for oldies rock station KGOR, is no longer with the station. [10/18/2011] Wingert said an expletive on the air and was suspended, then subsequently fired. Wingert had the KGOR morning job since early 2007. Previously, he had worked at other Omaha stations as well as in Des Moines, Kansas City and Seattle [KLSY].
**** Wingert was hired in January 2012 by crosstown NRG MEDIA Adult Hits KOOO (BIG 101.9) Omaha. “Dave is an exceptional talent with an uncanny ability to connect with listeners of all generations,” NRG MEDIA/OMAHA Market Manager Andy Ruback said. “To have him back on the air in Omaha is essential to continue to raise the bar in the radio market and offer listeners throughout the community a mass appeal morning show that will make people wake up and feel good.”

Dave Yates writes “I started in Yakima at KMWX 1460, the only nighttime radio station in town. Then moved up to KJRB in Spokane. (hometown). Also worked nightclub action during hey days of disco at Top of the Ocean in Tacoma, Rosebuds in Everett, and Annabelles in Los Angeles. All giant clubs. My last radio gig (after KJR) was back in 2002 at KLSY and I had 2 shows on Sirius Satellite Radio. Then I was Admissions Director at a broadcast school for quite awhile before they went under. Now I work for Postal Express as a mail courier. Fun times while I was in radio though.”

Dave Young

David Arneson

David Boze is a lifelong talk radio fan and Washington resident. He began his radio career with the nationally known Peter Weissbach as Weissbach’s sidekick “The Grasshopper.” Since then, he’s produced and substituted for numerous hosts, was the co-anchor of mornings on KTTH, and has guest hosted/co-hosted for national hosts including Michael Medved and Michael Savage. Prior to radio, David worked as a research analyst for the Evergreen Freedom Foundation (EFF), a non-profit, public policy think tank in Olympia. While at EFF, David was a columnist for The Olympian, and has written columns for the Seattle Times, the Tacoma News Tribune, and numerous other newspapers across the state.

Dennis Buckle News director at KAYO, retiring in 1980.

David Hebert – Hi. I just discovered this website, and I thought I’d give you a brief look at my radio career.

My radio career began on my nineteenth birthday when my first radio job started in Mt. Vernon, Washington. I was hired as afternoon deejay, which was why I went into radio in the first place. I was a deejay at KAPS radio. After I worked for 2 months, I was promoted to chief engineer, which suited me just fine. I knew nothing about being chief engineer, but the idea had a particular ring to it. Over the next 3 1/2 years, I picked up the job quite well. Before I left, I had rebuilt the station, not to mention repaired the equipment several times, including two temper mental cartridge machines. Step two happened with me going to work in Aberdeen when I went to work for KXRO. I was happy there,
and picked up alot more knowledge in the process. I rebuilt a 2 tower directional antenna system, took care of a cranky 5,000 watt transmitter and rebuilt the control room. The station had no ground system, so every once in awhile the entire station would break out into oscillation. One by one, all the problems were solved and the station was quite stable, as far as the antenna system was concerned. Before I left, I worked on the technical part of the application for them to buy KDUX-FM. After almost nine years, it was time to move on, so I came to the Tri-Cities to work for KONA AM & FM. I don’t think I got a day off for 4 years. Again, I helped rebuild the antenna system, installed two transmitters, converted the station to AM stereo, and rewired the AM control room, complete with a new console. My knowledge was rapidly increasing and by the time I left, I was quite an authority in almost everything. We had fun experiencing what that job had for me.
But, it was time to leave again, so I started my own technical consulting business, and went to work for stations all over Washington, Oregon, California, Idaho, Alaska, and Montana. I had written several magazine articles, became a ham radio operator. This time, I moved to Dallas, Texas, to work for Continental Electronics. I’m out of radio now, sad to say. I see where the business gave me a ton of knowledge, met many fine people, and I enjoyed many, many good times.

David Perry [KISW] now at KTYD/Santa Barbara

Davidson Corry left radio to work at Attachmate

Deacon Baker [KKFX]

Dean Carlson worked at KMTT, The Mountain, from 1992 to 2000. In 2008 he developed a syndicated radio program, “FusioRadio,” for AAA-format stations.. He is associate music supervisor at PlayNetwork, in Redmond. Carlson counts up 20 years in the entertainment industry. Seven years in radio syndication. Seven years in digital production He has been a boardmember of The Recoding Academy, in Santa Monica (VOS2013).

Dean Shepherd – last heard on Nightly Business Report on PBS

Dean Smith KIXI newsman and announcer; continues freelance voicework

Deb Henry

Del Courtney [KTAC News]

Del Olney (Delbert L. Olney) worked at several stations in the Northwest as early as the middle ’40s. He was at KHON, Honolulu, in August 1946 and at KXL, Portland, the next year. In 1947 his shift included signing-on KXL at 10:15 p.m and broadcasting until a 2 a.m. sign-off. In 1953 Olney was at KWJJ, Portland, working evenings, then middays and finally mornings, until 1958 when he moved to rocker KVAN, Vancouver. This ended when KVAN became KISN. Next: KLIQ, KEX, KXL and again KLIQ.
In 1960 he was briefly KJR’s noontime announcer, then he moved to “good-music” KXA and in 1961 was at KIXI-AM on its new 910 frequency. Olney left KIXI in 1967 for KGMI, Bellingham, then came back to Seattle for KXA and in a year was on the 7-midnight shift at KOMO. He eventually became KOMO’s long-term midday announcer.
Olney left KOMO in February, 1978, to work at the new communications center for the Yakima Indian Nation.

Delilah Rene – still in syndication at stations across the USA.
Delilah won a high school speech contest in hometown Reedsport, OR, got a job on KDUN reporting school news and sports..After school, a natural step up to KPNW, Eugene, OR. In Seattle she did some temping at KAYO, but landed the nighttime segment at contemporary KLSY. Her blend of lovesongs and dedications emerged despite minor skirmishes over music selection — she wanted more soul — and readings of her own poems. Success. The station declared her 7-midnight shift AA sales time. But then, her first misstep, KJR was changing from rock to all sports. Delilah Rene’s midday shift at KJR attracted neither males nor females. She springboarded to stations in Philadelphia and Boston and Rochester, trying for national syndication.She launched “Dellah after Dark” with Jones Radio Network, back in Seattle, which evolved into PremiereRadio. She now appears as “Delilah” with a blend of storytelling, sympatheic listening and love-song dedications on more than 200 stations, with an audience of 7 million. She is a single mother of seven, four of them adopted. Delilah created Point Hope Foundation for forgotten children, refugee children and special-needs kids in the foster-care system nationwide.

Delilah on the State of the industry: “It’s very, very sad. If one of the big automakers lost a quarter of its customers over a four- or five-year period, they would say, ‘What are we doing wrong? Let’s fix it.’ Radio has lost a quarter of its listening audience over the last couple of years. Instead of going, ‘What are we doing wrong? Let’s fix it,’ they go, ‘Oh, let’s cut more talent, let’s add more commercials, let’s test more music. Let’s pretend that satellite radio isn’t happening.’ Radio is such a gift and such a powerful medium. It needs to maximize its effectiveness, which is doing theater-of-the-mind stuff, touching people’s hearts and inspiring people.” [From a Radio & Records interview 2004]

Dennis Arlington was a longtime country announcer on Radio 123, KWYZ. He passed away during angioplasty surgery after suffering a heart attack while driving to work in Everett.

Dennis Kelly – the President/CEO of News Talk Concepts, Inc.

Dennis Murphy – Before joining NBC News, Murphy was a reporter for KING-TV, the NBC affiliate in Seattle, Washington. He began his career as a desk assistant at WCBS-TV in New York and worked for several years as an assignment editor, producer and reporter at KHOU-TV in Houston, Texas.

Dennis Rahm studied radio broadcasting at LH Bates Vocational-Technical Institute in Tacoma – Dennis has broadcast Lake Chelan area high school sports games for KOZI

Denny Fleenor is now a Communications spokesperson for WSU

Derek Murray

Derek Shannon owner of KITI/KRXY

Dewey Boynton – operations mgr Radio Yakima cluster

Diamond Jack Brady

Diane McKenzie – KUBE, KJR

Dianna Rose [KWJZ]

Dick Albertson/Richard O. Albertson – KING radio, Seattle area school teacher and longtime Seattle Seafair Pirate died Aug8, 2008

Dick CalvertDick Calvert broadcast the Tacoma Stars of the MISL from 1985 to through 1988. Calvert has an extensive history of soccer broadcasting, working for both the North American and Major Indoor Soccer leagues. He has been the announcer for MCA championships and official starter for NCAA golf tournaments, and for WCC basketball. He was the featured announcer on three World Cup broadcasts.
He was the “Voice of the Rebels” for the University of Nevada Las Vegas and has broadcast the college’s basketball, baseball, men’s and women’s soccer games.
Although retired from the national radio booth after five decades covering sports, Calvert continues as UNLV athletics-department announcer. (CHBCenter,2014)

Dick Courier [KOMO AM News 1972]

Dick Cross is a 40 year veteran of the radio business, on radio stations such as KUGN and KEX, in Oregon, and KVI and KOMO in Seattle. He sometimes served as program director, music director, and sports color announcer for Pacific Northwest stations. Along the way, he recorded several award-winning commercials and coached and mentored up-and-coming announcers.
Dick’s other interests include playing drums and banjo.
Dick was born and raised in Davenport, Iowa. He wanted to be a radio announcer since junior high school when he visited WOC, Davenport. After two years in the Navy, Dick moved to Eugene, attended Radio Voice of Students and got his first-class license.
In 1954 he became morning announcer at KORE, Eugene. He moved to KERG, then KUGN as afternoon-drive announcer and became program director as well.In 1969 he was afternoon personality at KEX, Portland, but moved back to Eugene the next year to focus on sports announcing at KUGN.In 1971 he was afternoon-drive personality at KVI, Seattle, then program director at KBES, Bellevue, finally moving to afternoon-drive at KOMO. He was also music director there.
His segue to owning a Redmond recording studio, AudioVisions, was seamless, because of his background. Open for over 15 years, Dick represented some of the most well-known speakers in the National Speakers’ Association Northwest. Dick retired in 2007.

Dick Curtis – KBRO-KJR-KOL-KYYX-KKMI-KORL-KVI-Concerts West — retired. Program Director at KOL. Curtis left KJR (after nearly six years there) in late ’67. He launched KOL-FM’s progressive rock in June ’68, became KOL general manager in Jan. ’69 and hired morning star Lan Roberts away from KJR in May, ’69. Roberts was KOL’s off-air program director (due to a non-compete contract at KJR) and became KOL morning drive jock in early Oct. ’69. Popular KOL talent Robin Mitchell, who left the station in Aug. ’69, replaced Roberts as off-air PD when Curtis brought Mitchell back to the station in April, ’70. The Curtis-Mitchell team led KOL through one of its most successful periods until both were fired in the summer of ’72. Curtis went on to manage concert tours for Frank Sinatra, The Eagles, Bob Dylan and others with Concerts West.

His Facebook bio:
Worked at KOL, Former News Anchor at KYYX, Former Program Director & Deejay at KVI, Former Promoter at Concerts West, Former Deejay at Kjr, Former General Manager at KORL, Studied Radio Broadcasting at Bates Technical College, Went to Lincoln High School (Tacoma), Lives in Issaquah, Washington, Married to Connie Curtis, From Tacoma, Washington

Dick Ellingson – Dick Ellingson left radio in 1993 – last job at the Real Country Network, broadcasting from Phoenix. Ellingson worked at KAYO and KMPS in the ’70s. He lived in Phoenix from 1985 to 1993. Ellingson was on KLFF 1360 in 1988 (big band/mor) and, from 1989 to 1993, KCWW 1580 which was the originating
station for the ABC Radio’s Real Country Network.

Dick Goodman [KISN] KOMO AM News (1972) Dick Goodman, as Dan Tucker, A.K.A. Mother Tucker, was newscaster evenings and weekends on KMPS-AM.

Dick Guthrie -after leaving KING radio in the early ’60s became the night booth announcer on KOMO for many years

Dick Harris is retired and still alive and active at 86 as of Sept 2010 (from Clay’s Corner)

Dick Haugen reports for The Spokesman-Review after 35 years in the broadcast industry. Dick spent a good portion of his career in the Seattle-Tacoma market with top-rated radio shows at KVI in Seattle and KTAC in Tacoma. He has spent the last 20 years in the Spokane-Coeur d’Alene area reporting for both radio and television email Dick

Dick Jones/Rick Knapp – retired from radio after selling his station KENE, Toppenish [Tom, Dick and Harry] One of the oldest radio stations in Seattle, KTW (1250 AM) had a tortured history, including its beginning in a church loft, with a meager signal and a sunset sign-off. After being sold by the First Presbyterian Church in Seattle, the station suffered a series of owners and a bankruptcy or two. In late 1964, with the station still at 1250 AM and holding a construction permit for 102.5 FM, a new owner introduced a top-40 format with d.j.s “Tom. Dick, Harry, … and Sam.” The disk jockeys assigned names were Tom Morgan, Dick Jones, Harry Smith … and Sam Kelly. (Even their previous-station experience was made up.) The station’s rock format lasted 9 months and then was switched to the “Nashville Sound.” (KTW would soon endure other indignities in a three-way station-and-frequency shuffle to try to get rid of the sunset sign-off.)

Dick Keplinger – Newsman at KOMO, KJR, KVI, hosted Cookbook Quiz on KOMO TV in the 1950s. Dick Keplinger did the KOMO news from his home studio.

Dick Klinger – KING TV Evening Show Host – VOICE of SIRIUSLY SINATRA ON SIRIUS XM SiriusXM -Portland State University -Greater Atlanta Area -Listen at www.dickklinger.net

Dick-McGarvinDick McGarvin eased into Seattle as KVI’s weekend disk jockey in 1965. In addition to early-morning Saturday and afternoon Sunday shifts, McGarvin also worked as production director. In August of the same year he became the early-evening announcer.
He had been at KIDO, Boise, from 1959 to 1965.
McGarvin was interested in more voice-over work and was advised that he would do much better if he were closer to Los Angeles. So that’s when he negotiated a move to KVI’s sister-station KSFO, San Francisco..
In 1980 he began at “all-jazz” KKGO, Los Angeles, and in 1999 and 2000 was on KLON, the non-commercial station owned by Long Beach State. (VOS2013)

Dick Rossetti left KNDD in 2007. Anyone who has worked in radio knows how incredibly hard it is to pull someone off the street, put them on the air, and have it sound good. It doesn’t work like that. However, every once in awhile a showman of such incredible talent and charisma comes along and hits it out of the park on his first swing. Dick Rossetti is that guy. You may not have understood two thirds of what Dick was referring to in any given break, however what you did know is that what he was saying was funny. No one has been weirder, more complex and loved music more at the station than Dick Rossetti. Rossetti has since performed as front man for the band The Jilly Rizzo. (HARMS2012)

Dick Roth KTAC and KING AM personality

Dick Staub [KING 1090] “The Dick Staub Show” first appeared locally in Seattle at King Broadcasting (NBC affiliated) in 1987. In 1991 Staub moved to Chicago where he hosted a nationally syndicated, afternoon drive, radio talk show. His award winning signature interviews resulted in numerous honors including the Cardinal’s Award for excellence in broadcasting.
Dick Staub was host of a daily radio show on Seattle’s KGNW (also broadcast on cable’s Total Living Network), and is the author of Too Christian, Too Pagan: How to Love the World Without Falling for It (Zondervan, 2000). He’s also the founder of the Center for Faith and Culture, which examines intersections between popular culture and religious belief.

Dick Stokke first worked in Seattle in 1955 at KJR. Three years later he was on “the new” KFKF-AM, 1330. He was known for his adlibbed, irreverent comments and could truly have been classified a humorist. In 1964 Stokke moved over to the KIXI news department and as a midday disk jockey at the same time at contemporary-personality KOL. He returned to KFKF, but soon was automated out of the business. He sold automobiles, and did fill-ins at various stations.
By 1965, Stokke was back at KFKF but off the air by the end of 1966.
He started in Yakima. During the span between 1966 and 1969, Stokke sold automobiles, was a classical-music announcer at KXA, program director of KURB and KAAR, Mountlake Terrace, and filled-in at various Northwest radio stations. He was eventually promised a fulltime shift at KTNT-AM. It didn’t happen, so he ventured into a leased stock-market-news program with veteran radio announcer Merrill Mael on KTVW, Channel 13. Stokke also appeared in many dinner-theater productions in Seattle. He died in 1987, age 71.
This from the Times, Sept 25, 1987:
Dick Stokke , longtime radio personality, actor and humorist, died Tuesday after an extended bout with cancer. He was 71.

Stokke was born on Feb. 26, 1916, in Salt Lake City. He moved to Seattle as a child, graduated from Roosevelt High School and attended the University of Washington. He continued to live in the city until he and his wife, Beverly, moved to Bellevue nine years ago.

Stokke’s career spanned two periods in radio, from the straight delivery of a station announcers into the much livelier days of disc jockeys.

Beginning in the 1940s, Stokke worked as a talk-show host and station manager for KOMO, KJR, KIRO, KFKF and a number of other radio stations. He did thousands of commercial spots.

Stokke was famous for his frankness on the air, and gained attention for panning Elvis Presley and purposely twisting words.

His constant ridiculing of Presley irritated but attracted listeners and elicited a response from the singer himself.

When Presley came to Seattle in 1958 and was introduced to Stokke, legend has it the singer said, “Oh, so you’re the one!”

Stokke worked in television for a few years, hosting the news-and-commentary segment of a daily stock-report program. Also a cartoonist, he was fond of making his on-the-air partner, Merrill Mael, break out in laughter by slipping a strange cartoon over his script.

“Dick was the best ad-libber in Seattle radio,” Mael said.

“He was very, very funny and that got him fired a few times, but he was one of the best.”

Stokke also acted in about 60 plays with the Cirque Dinner Theater, where he shared the stage with Van Johnson, Bob Crane and several other stars. He also worked for a while as public-relations director.

After he retired Stokke continued writing columns for various Seattle-area publications and did event promotion.

Stokke is survived by his wife; five children, Francis and Keith of Seattle, Karl, Kurt and Karen of Port Angeles; and a stepson, Don Mix of Spokane.

No services were held.

Dick Wahl worked at KRKO, Everett, in 1958, but moved to KTIX, 1590 mg in 1960. He had attended Bellingham High School, Western Washington University and graduated from the University of Washington. He was active in drama.
He worked at KOMO and KIRO and later moved to Los Angeles where he spent the next 20 years news reporter and correspondent for the American Broadcasting Co.
After retirement he taught journalism at California State College, He portrayed a newscaster in the 1978 motion picture “Remember My Name.”
He died in 2001. (VOS2013)

Dick Weeks – deceased

Dinwiddie Fuhrmeister
In his time, he was: a cowboy, World War II bomber pilot, an amateur actor and director, a local TV host and producer, and one of the founders of the Sound to Narrows race. Fuhrmeister, known by many simply as “Din,” died December 2002 from complications of cancer at his Tacoma home. He was 82. …Fuhrmeister went on to work for the Tribune Publishing Co., at a time when the company still owned KTNT-TV, Channel 11. Among other things, he hosted a children’s show during the 1950s called “Din’s Dandy Time.”

Doc Downey [KJR] became a New Orleans attorney

Don Burns [KOL, KJR] KVFM, 1963; KNJO, 1964; KOL, KJR, KRLA, 1970-72; KROQ, 1973; KRLA, 1974-75; KIIS, 1975; KIQQ, 1976-77; KOST, 1978-80; KUTE, 1986-88; KTWV, 1988-2000. Don worked afternoon drive at “the Wave.” He was doing his program from his home in La Quinta, CA when he was forced out because they wanted him to do his program on KTWV live.

Don Cannon – KOMO, KING

Don Chambers – [KQIN-KOL]

Don ChapmanDon Chapman was KAYO’s all-nighter in 1965. Donald B. Woodland was his given name when he was born in Aberdeen. He attended Lewis and Clark College and Grays Junior College. After school he moved to Chicago where he became one of the “Five Western Gentlemen” disk jockeys on WJJD.
The Chicago station was so successful Chapman and another disk jockey took a stab at syndication, consulting for “Sammy C.” a “complete country-music format for other stations.” (No relationship to Sammy C, Latin Freestyle.)
But even better, a fellow Country Gent Chris Lane had returned to KAYO as program director, a station with a nightly 10 p.m. signoff that had just moved away from rock and roll.
Lane urged Chapman to follow. Chapman wrote a country song or two and produced some recording sessions. One of his royalty checks was for three cents. He decided not to cash the check.
Chapman eventually became afternoon disk jockey at middle-of-the-road KOMO, Seattle. He moved to Nashville to try producing record albums. But he returned to Seattle and then began his own video and audio production company. Two years later he felt the urge to try his luck in Nashville. There he would find work as a record producer.
But the memories of the Northwest beckoned and he and his wife Willie moved back to Seattle.
During this time, he began his own video and audio production company. Two years later, he became production manager at Videoland Productions in Lacey.
Chapman died during cancer surgery in 2011. (VOS2013)

Don Clark was an agressive, entertaining disk jockey at KOL in the early 1970s. Clark said among his previous experience included writing segments for NBC’s emerging series “Saturday Night Live” with his wife. Clark was singularly inventive. As afternoon disk jockey, he cajoled listeners to rat on who stole the Carnation Cows from a display at University Village, talked the grateful company into rewarding all KOL listeners with free ice cream. “KOL, Keep on Licking” Clark said to listeners who lined up at the Harbor Island radio station. He made a big deal of the buzzards in Hinkley, Ohio. He made phone calls to Arthur Prysock, he cajoled touring musicians, including superstars like Aretha Franklin to add unscheduled concerts for prisoners at McNeil Island. Clark continued activism as nighttime disk jockey at KIRO AM, noting that gold had climbed to new levels so he lined up busses and equipment for gold-panning trips. Clark clipped media covrage of his station activities, splayed them in front of his station manager and asked him to budget money for listener promotions, Clark: “Here’s the press coverage I’ve generated for six months — now I’m going to stop and see how much coverage KIRO could get on its own.” (Cricket sounds here, if you please.)
Then Clark learned that management was budgeting promotional money to build up its lackluster morning man, Clark quit and returned to California. Never to be heard from in Seattle again. Sort of.
(A couple of years later he submitted an application for an opening at KVI. {He would have been a perfect fit for the promotionally minded Hardwick, Morton and French.}. His aircheck was an hilarious two-hour phone interview with the hot comedian Don Rickles.
KVI dumped the application because no where did Clark mention Seattle, or Mount Rainier, or rain, or any KVI turf.) (VOS2012)

Don Cristi [Wagner] He said in Feb.2011, “This business is so strange, I have returned to radio full time as the General Manager of the Leatherstocking Media Group in Upstate New York with stations in Syracuse, Oneida and Utica; it really is good to be back.”

Don Fuhrman commandeered the KVI night shift for eight years and other air shifts totaling 14 years. His overnight shift started a year after KVI had stopped midnight signoffs. Offered a low-key show, with minimum prep time, but all-in-all a friendly gentleman. He retired in 1975. While still at the station he let his obsession with the outdoors take hold. Frequently he would park his camper truck on city streets outside the station, keeping it handy for a quick snooze or an early-morning steel-heading session along a countryside stream.

Don Hedman – left radio and worked in real estate; Don Hedman died Dec 13, 2009

Don-Hill-Tacoma-Baseball-150x150Don Hill was for many years Tacoma’s “voice of baseball”. He was the regular radio announcer of the Tacoma Giants and Cubs games from 1960-1971, most of the time on KTAC. Hill came to Tacoma from the Midwest as the Tacoma Giants began Pacific Coast League play at the new Cheney Stadium. Hill was renowned for his road-game recreations, in the days when teams did not send broadcasters on the road. Hill and his wife Connie made it difficult for Tacoma listeners to discern he wasn’t watch the game in person, Connie gathered information from teletype or phone from the ball park. From a few simple words Hill could fashion a 15-minute yarn describing each pitch and, on occasion, even a fake argument on a close play that he imagined could have occurred, He used sound effects in the studio including a recording of crowd noise and a cow bell for celebrating a home run.
Hill’s given name was Dwight Herrick. He broadcast for 14 years previously in cities including Omaha and Columbus. His signature call was “How’s that Giants fans!” His career covered over 50 years and 10,000 broadcasts. He died in 2002. (CHBCenter 2014)

Don Hoffman is retired from radio. He is writing, working part-time and teaching in Monterey, CA.

Don January submitted an aircheck to KOL in 1960. But his real name Don Wimberly was not “Seattle enough” for J. J. Valley and Buzz Barr. Everybody likes January in Seattle. Wimberly says he was the first graduate from the Broadcast Journalism Department at WSC (midwinter 1960). Even so, he had been on the air in 1958 at KOFE, Pullman. He remembers there were only two jobs posted in the college placement service, in St. Helens, OR, or Fargo, ND. He chose KOHI, St. Helens. A year later he moved to KUMA, Pendelton, OR. The aircheck to KOL followed.
“Frankly, rock and roll was not my thing,” January said. “I was a jazz musician.”
He left KOL for a sales job at a Portland station, then did some ad-agency work. He “retired” to The Dalles, OR, in 1996, but met KODL owner Al Wynn and went back on the air for ten years. Retired again in 2005. Last heard from in 2006, acknowledging he was in remission from a serious disease.

Don Lane (Dick Ellingson says: Don Lane (Don Finger) came to KAYO from KRDR in Gresham, Oregon. His wife Joy refused to marry him unless he legally changed his name. Their daughter was named Melody. KRDR’s address was 1230 Melody Lane. Don and I were fired by KAYO’s new p.d. on the same morning. As I walked out of his office, Don walked in. Don became manager of KEED in Eugene
and hired Dan Williams after Dan left KAYO. Don Lane died 3/5/07 in Oregon.

Don O’Neill half of the Ron & Don team of talk show hosts on KIRO FM
The Ron & Don Show started at KJR-AM in 1995. Other stations they have worked at during their career include: KCTC-AM/San Francisco, KZZP FM/Phoenix, KYNG FM/Dallas, KQBZ FM/Seattle, WKLQ/Grand Rapids, KKND FM/New Orleans & finally settling here at KIRO.

Don Patrick

Don Riggs – retired and living in Bellevue * formerly with KMPS

Don Riley – Newscaster at KIRO TV and radio, and KIXI

Don Shorter/JJ Jackson – Don Shorter was an air personality in Tacoma, including KTNT-AM-FM, KTAC-AM-FM and KNBQ, in the early 1970s, and in Seattle hosted prepared programs on radio stations ranging from “r&b” KYAC-AM-FM to “hot talk” KVI and “top-40” KUBE. As Don Shorter Ph.D he produced TV programs which appeared on the Trinity Broadcast Network and The Word Network. He is a life coach and founder of Company Care Associates, founding pastor of Pacific Church and owner of Media Elite Production and Promotions Agency. Shorter is the author of several books including “Winning Against All Odds” and “Take Control of Your Thoughts.”

Don Simon KIXI FM [PD] left for American Academy of Performing Arts/Pasadena, Ca. – 1982

Don Vicroy KFKF

Don Wade (WEHDE) got fired at KOL in 1972, Wade had escaped from Philadelphia to avoid some controversy. Wade had dispatched his first wife on a month-long journey around the country to look for the best place to live. If she found it, he promised he’d find a way to make a living.there — Indiana, Texas, California, no matter. She called him for a two-week vacation; he joined her in Seattle, went back to Philadelphia prepared to quit. That’s when the sister-station business of Buckley Broadcasting became important. Buckley had just bought KOL, Seattle.
Wade was a natural morning-show host with a lot of funny voice characters, including Sheriff C. W. Turnipseed …(a big old spit into the rusty spittoon – Yuk!) Then came KOL’s automation equipment and a mass firing. Wade said he would have taken a pay cut to stay in Seattle, but that didn’t work. No doubt he took a pay cut when he logged on at KTAC, Tacoma, just readying in 1973 to take on KJR and KOL with Top 40. At KTAC-AM-FM Wade attempted to set a world record “watching PBS-TV for 30 hours.”
After KTAC, Wade moved to Chicago, and that’s the last we ever heard from him. But Chicago heard him big. He became a legend at WLS, Chicago, first as a morning disk jockey, then as a cynical talk host as the station changed formats.Wade tackled Chicago aldermen, dysfunctional politicians. This evolved into the “Don Wade and Roma Show,” with new-wife Roma trying to moderate him. They became the longest running drivetime show in Chicago — 27 years.
That ended when Wade developed brain cancer at age 71. Serious surgery and chemo followed. After months of wondering when he would return to the air, Wade decided to retire at the end of 2012. Don Wade died September 6, 2013. (VOS13)

Donna Seebo was an occasional guest as a psychic on MIke Moran’s talk show on KTNT in 1980. Who would predict she would develop her own radio show? Well, she knew! She is a storyteller and a seer, an author , teacher and minister. “The Donna Seebo Show” continues on alternative-talk KKNW.

Dori Monson – mid-days on KIRO FM

Double R – Double R (Rick Robertson) on the beach

Doug Klippert — [KTAC] (Here is what he said in an email.) He is an independent Microsoft technical trainer. 5/1/1965 KTWD-FM first stereo FM in Spokane :: KDFL Sumner, KTAC Tacoma, KSND Seattle until 2/28/1968.

Doug Taylor – Doug Taylor is now working for Seattle Pacific University

Dr. Rock Jeff McIntosh

Drake CollierDrake Collier arrived at KING-AM in 1991, fresh from Chicago. With a deep voice and friendly personality, he moderated the station’s evening talk show. (Early on, CSPAN elected to telecast his radio program for Seattle’s reaction to the 1990 presidential election.) Over the years Collier has been on both TV and radio as news anchor, announcer, and talk-show host, and has done documentaries, training films, voice-overs and promotions.
He moved to KIRO-AM for the 9 p.m. evening radio program.
Collier met wife Maria Lingat at a PBS TV telethon in Chicago. He was a host and she was a telephone volunteer. Shortly afterwards they had an unusual first date — attending a wake. They were married a year later.
Originally from the Philippines, Maria moved to Chicago with her family in the late 1980’s and worked in the marketing field.
Touched by his wife’s faith, Drake entered the RCIA program at St. James Parish Seattle and he participated as a lector.
Maria initially transferred to Nevada with the Department of Social and Health Sciences.
Drake followed and now operates a year-old real estate venture in Las Vegas and Maria has joined him. Website: Drakecollierhomes.com. (VOS2013)

– Duane Smart I began working in radio at KISW-FM, in 1963. During my years at UW, I was on KUOW and a booth announcer at KCTS-TV. I worked at KMCS-FM, know then as MarketCasters and then to KIRO AM-FM-TV, where I did audio production and mixing. From 1967-1981 I was Mr. Music Man on the J.P. Patches show.

[Bill] Dudley – mono-monikered morning guy at KTAC mid-1970s, moved up to KJR for a few months, overniter and weekends. Now at KTWV The Wave-Los Angeles.

Bowman, Ed 1Ed Bowman enjoyed a 25-year sports broadcasting career in Tacoma, calling action ranging from Cammarano Brothers-Double Cola Little League Caravan baseball all the way through high school, college and professional sports.
Bowman’s broadcasting career got its start in 1955 while he was a student at College of Puget Sound. “Clay Huntington gave me the opportunity to do radio play-by-play of six or seven games at the Washington State High School Class B Basketball Tournament at the College of Puget Sound Fieldhouse,” Bowman recalled. For the next 25 years until he moved out of the Puget Sound area, Bowman did radio and television broadcasts of hundreds of sports at all levels.
Bowman worked with long-time Tacoma Cubs play-by-play man Don Hill on the broadcasts of the team’s run to the 1969 Pacific Coast League championship. Bowman also handled public address and public relations duties for the Cubs, in addition to writing game stories for Associated Press and United Press International.
When Hill took a group of Tigers boosters to Honolulu for games against the Hawaii Islanders, Bowman slid into Hill’s chair doing local re-creations of those games based off of wire reports. “I remember signing off the air at 2 or 3 a.m. on those re-created live broadcasts from Honolulu,” Bowman said.
Frequently Bowman worked alongside Doug McArthur calling the action as the Loggers and college and high school football, baseball and basketball games — along with some swim meets.
Bowman’s broadcast career ended in 1980 when he moved to the San Francisco Bay area where he became an executive in international transportation, trade development and marketing. (CHBCenter, 2014)

Ed Dollar

Ed Dunaway see: Big Ed Dunaway

Ed-EvansEd Evans Evans grew up in Albuquerque, N.M. He started work in his broadcasting career the day after he graduated high school, reading the news for KLOS, a hometown country-western radio station. He left for Portland, Ore., to attend Lewis & Clark College, where he majored in communications. Evans was student manager of the campus radio station and worked as a disc jockey for KGY in Olympia and also had radio stops in Tacoma and Seattle. After graduating in 1968, he was hired to work at KOMO radio in Seattle, covering city hall and the state legislature.

In 1972, he joined KOMO television, where he first met longtime KHON anchor Barbara Tanabe. In 1977, Tanabe suggested Evans apply for the executive news producer’s position at the Hawaii station. He also taught broadcast news for three semesters at the University of Hawaii.

In September 1980 he left KHON to work at KIRO television in Seattle for 11 years as capital bureau chief in Olympia.

He went on to earn a master’s of divinity degree from Lancaster Theological Seminary in Pennsylvania. Evans served at Blaine United Church of Christ in Blaine, Wash., and later as pastor of First Congregational United Church of Christ in Vancouver, Wash.

After retiring in 2006, Evans moved to Sequim, Wash., but remains active in the church.

Ed Garre was station owner of KASY, Auburn –a true mom-and-pop daytimer at 1220 on the dial. Wife June Garry was office manager and receptionist in the little concrete-block studio at the end of a gravel road leading into Auburn marshlands. A partner at first, Garre acquired sole ownership in 1960, was chief salesman and became an Aubur civic leader. He was described as “Auburn’s greatest ambassador.” He was master of ceremonies for just about any civic event. He organized Auburn auto dealers into a group inventing the slogan “Little Detroit of the West.” A Tacoma native, Garre attended St Martins College and Gonzaga.
KASY’s format was middle of the road — “the KASY kind of music.” The station was sold in 1989 and with its dial position changing to 1210, became something of a pawn in a series of media mergers, going through call letters KBSG-AM, KTTH-AM, KNWX, KDDS, KWMG, KTBK and the current “Latino1210” KMIA.
Garre died in 2010, age 89.

Ed Isenhart – writes PugetSoundMedia on 5/8/2020 – Wow! What a flashback!! I worked at KTAC from easy listening to light rock.(67 to 69). Lee Knutson was PD when I got there and Tom Conners when I left. Then got a Job as booth announcer for KTNT TV. Worked there from 69 to 75.
Started shooting film for commercials and a little news. For a while I was the Sunday night news anchor and would take over the 10 o’clock news for Charlie Byrd when he went on vacation.

Ed Ives – Newscaster at KING and KIXI, former information officer for the state insurance commissioner’s office and state House of Representatives

Ed Jacobsen

Ed Kelly – KOL; station manager at KJUN Puyallup

Ed Longcrier. afternoon DJ KAGT Annacortes Jan-May 1973. Morning announcer KELA Cenntralia 1973-1983. Owner operator KTHE Thermopolis Wyoming 1983-1987. now retired old fart. (grew up in Kent in the 50’s and 60’s) grad Ron Bailie School of Broadcast.

Ed Scott [KING 1945] went on to KOA Denver and later purchased KLAK Denver
Ed was born in Denver, but by the 6th grade, was living with him grandparents in Englewood, a relocation in the “Country” to recover from childhood tuberculosis. He graduated from Englewood High School at age 16. When he was 17, he attended a DU summer session , enrolled at the University of Washington to study broadcasting. Soon he dropped out of school to work to keep his teenage record show which he shared advertising revenues with the station. It eventually led to a full time job with KING in Seattle.

In 1947, Ed returned to Denver, first to KOA-AM, then to KLZ-AM. His network announcing debut came at age 19 after he moved to WBBM, CBS in Chicago. His network radio credits include “People Are Funny,” “Sky King,” “The Gene Autry Show” and “The Quiz Kids.” Network TV commercials involve the “Wednesday Night Fights,” “Ben Casey, “”My Three Sons” and “Lucy.”

In 1953, Ed moved back to Denver. When KLZ-TV Channel 7 went on the air, he became Sheriff Scotty, a top rated show that Ed produced and performed in for nine years.

In 1961. shortly before his 33rd birthday, he pooled all his resources on a radio station located in an old ranch house in Lakewood. Five years later, KLAK was a state-of-the-art facility and the station was positioned to become a ratings leader. KLAK-FM came in 1966, then a background music/sound system named Accent Sound in 1970. In 1971, KFEZ-AM went on the air in Kansas City. Ed sold his businesses in 1976.

Ed Scott then began a career in politics, first in the Englewood City Council, followed two years later as Colorado’s youngest Mayor. In 1984, Ed turned his talent to print. His current events column was featured in the Denver Post and in 63 other newpapers in 30 states.

He also hosted and narrated a TV program about Denver in the 1940’s called “There Was A Time.” The program won a national “Telly.”

Eddie Mason

Eddie O. [KKFX]

Edward Bowes was a Tacoma business man and successful real estate developer. Bowes founded the town of Fircrest. Most people remember him for his NBC radio show “Major Bowe’s Amateur Hour.”

Edward R. Murrow – The most famous broadcaster to come out of the Northwest might have been, Edward R. Murrow. Murrow grew up in Bellingham, attended WSC, studying broadcasting at the 500-watt campus radio station. Murrow will be remembered for his wartime broadcasts for CBS and his “See It Now” program, (CBS-TV, March 9, 1954) “A Report on Senator Joseph R. McCarthy”.

KJR Sportscaster, Elise Woodward, is truly a fabulous Sports babe. A guy’s gal, Woodward is married and enjoys nachos, beer, gambling, Harleys, and knows more about sports than you do.

Ellen Tailor was co-host of the Fitz in the morning show on KKWF and was a features reporter for Q13 TV. Tailor came to Seattle radio from a station in Grand Rapids, Michigan.

Elliot Brown. Chuck Bolland says: “He and Bob Summerise did weekend Rn’B shows at KTAC, and then booked talent into a couple of taverns near Ft. Lewis. At that time the black GI’s had very limited places they could go off post for social occasions. So my Uncle and Bob (who was African-American, just died about three years ago in Seattle) booked in Friday and Saturday night acts. It was just after Ray Charles moved here from Florida so it was him, Etta James, The Platters, etc. It wasn’t long and most of those acts were far too expensive for a Lakewood area tavern, but lesser known groups on tour had limited places to play in the Northwest so they could get them very reasonably. Don’t know if my uncle used Elliot Brown as a name on the air or not. It would have been about 1953 or so. He had returned from Korea after an enlistment with the Marine Corps and was enrolled in Bates for their electronics class. (2016 – Chuck Bolland)

Ellis B Feaster – Ellis B. Feaster is on WPOZ FM Union Park, FL

Emperor Bob Hudson – died 9/20/97

Emperor Lee Smith – KJRB, KJR. Deceased

Eric Chase/Paul Christy now is a voice actor at Paul Christy Productions in the Houston, Tx area

Eric Dahlberg [KKNW FM]

Eric Dawson [KRIZ]

Eric Funk

Eric McKaig [KING-AM, KYYX, KOMO-AM production manager]

Eric Powers [KUBE] 1988-1991 KNHC/C-89FM host and student PD
1991-1992 KNDD – One of The End’s very first hosts
1992-2016 KUBE – Afternoon host
2007-2016 KUBE PD
2009-2014 KBKS PD
2010-2017 Westwood One National Hot AC Voice
2017 HOT 103.7 Program Director/Afternoons

Eric Slocum Former KOMO anchor, who worked at the Seattle ABC-affiliate for a decade and also served as an anchor for the KOMO radio station, died February 2012. He was 54.

“It is with great sadness that we’ve learned of the death of Eric Slocum,” reads a statement posted on KOMO’s Facebook page today.

Slocum’s death was ruled a suicide, according to the Seattle Post-Intelligencer. He reportedly suffered from depression for several years.

Slocum worked in radio before becoming an anchor and reporter with KOMO-TV in 1990. He stepped away from TV in 2001 and worked as an anchor for KOMO radio until 2008, when he left to work full-time on a memoir.

Eric Tyler Music Director and afternoon drive jock at KISS 106 Seattle. Hired by WBBM FM in August 2016.

Erin Hart [KIRO]

Erin Hart hosted weekend talk shows on news-talk KIRO-AM for seven years. Previously she was a midday talk host at KTLK, Denver. Hart grew up in a small town in Colorado. Hart learned to work in Spanish in Puerto Rico, where she has lived off and on. Since leaving KIRO she has done freelance hosting at stations including KHOW and KOA, Denver. She has written items on politics and entertainment. She is a board member of Faith Forward, an interfaith group inspired by progressive politics and social action. She has hosted talk programs on the internet broadcaster Talkspot.com.

Fastlane Phillips started at KAMT, Tacoma, in 1984. In six months under his name Scott Phillips, he moved to Seattle’s “magic 108″ KMGI for a 7 p.m.-to-midnight shift using the name Don Phillips. Finally in 1990 he was at “oldies” KBSG as “Fastlane.” He stayed there 19 years, the last five of which he was morning personality.
He also was the co-host of “Goodtimes Oldies Magazine”, a nationally syndicated weekend show that aired in over 250 markets. While attending the University of Puget Sound he became program director of the college station. He is younger brother of Kent Phillips, KPLZ program director.
He now works mornings and is the operations manager for a cluster of stations in Billings, MT — where incidentally there is a Fast Lane Phillips 66 gas station on High Ridge Drive. Ops Mgr, 98.5 the Wolf/Magic 107.5 and Morning Show Host, 98.5 The Wolf. – update by Scott Phillips/8-29-2014

The Fabulous Sports Babe sparked KJR’s transition from rock ‘n roll to sports-talk in 1991 under ownership of Jeff Smulyan. She had an encyclopedic knowledge of sports and an aggressive conversational style. She seldom used her name Nanci Donnellen.
She stayed in Seattle for three years, always expressing disdain for the disorganized KJR caller ” … a rich guy on a cell phone.” She was lured away by national syndication through the ESPN Radio Network. In the next eight years she was heard in over 300 radio stations nationwide. She also briefly hosted an ESPN TV show.
Early on she was diagnosed with breast cancer and underwent treatment (apparently remaining cancer free for 14 years.)
After her ESPN exposure ended in 1998, she moved to a Florida beach home and appeared regularly on WHFS, Tampa Bay, and on the short-lived Sports Fan Network from WQYK, Tampa. (Before “Sports Babe” Donnellan did sports reporting on stations in Boston, Cape Cod and Tampa Bay.)
She made occasional sports-TV guest appearances and was the subject of newspaper and magazine accounts — frequently noting she was the first sports call-in female host (and maybe still, the only).
With Neal Karlen, she wrote a book, “The Babe in Boyland,” in which she discussed men, women, football, goalies, strikes, and clueless sports executives in a unique style.
In February 2012 a Tampa newspaper reported she had a stroke. She returned after recovery as overnight host at WHFS-FM (as CBS Radio fully developed “The Fan” sports-radio format for Tampa.) The Babe announced she had been fired from her weeknight show in August 2013, but CBS Radio says she will be returning with a parttime weekend program. Negotiations continue.

Fendall Yerxa had a long career in newspapers and television before moving to Seattle in 1965 to become a professor of journalism at the University of Washington and a featured news analyst on KOMO-TV, into the early 1970s. He also wrote a weekly news commentary for the Seattle Post-Intelligencer. He began as a news reporter in Minneapolis and advanced to editor at newspapers in New York, Delaware and the District of Columbia. His career included time as a news editor at ABC-TV. Yerxa retired from the UW in 1984, after nearly 20 years on the faculty. He died in fall of 2014 at age 101. (VOS, 2014)

Fenwick – Jim Fenwick (Jim Pierson) left KOL and went back to Portland radio

Fran Hawkins – KUUU – let go from KUUU over $$ and fringe benefits, KVI FM, KYYX;

Fran Martin

Frank Catalano began as a midday disk jockey at KUHL-AM, Santa Maria, CA. followed by some time in Green Bay WI, and Boise, ID. In 1980 he started at KTNT-AM, Tacoma, moved to KMPS for a year and then six years at KING-AM. As KMPS newsman he also wrote for Seattle Weekly and Puget Sound Business Journal, and was on-camera technology reporter for KCPQ-TV. In 2008 he resumed consultant work, offering branding, marketing,educational Services. He writes a column for Geekwire.com. His business website: Intrinsicstrategy.com.

Frank Lenzi began his career in commercial radio in the summer of 1995 at KGON in Portland, where he was an intern. He also worked at KZEL in Eugene while attending the University of Oregon. Also during his time at the U of O, he served as production director, and eventually general manager of KWVA-FM, the campus radio station. After graduation in 1997, he took at job at KEX in the newsroom. He also worked as a jock at K103-FM. Three years later he moved to KPAM 860 where he stayed for eight years, six years of which he served as the managing editor in the newsroom. Most recently, KOMO Newsradio in Seattle, where he was the morning editor.

Frank Roberts [news]

frank-shiersFrank Shiers has bounced around a variety of stations in Seattle, and for the past several years has been a talk-host, news-reader and production aide at KIRO-AM, “B97.3,” and KIRO-FM.
Here’s Frank: “I grew up in Bremerton, but, I’ve lived all over western Washington. I got my Communications degree from WSU and then went to work in radio in Bellingham and Tacoma. In 1979, I went back up to WWU to get a teaching certificate. I taught elementary school for awhile (first and fifth grade,) then high school. I taught English, speech, television and coached debate and drama. After 7 years of teaching I returned to radio.
Since 1986, I’ve bounced around a variety of stations in Seattle. For the last several years, I’ve worked at KIRO and our sister station, B97.3.
In my spare time, I’m a political cartoonist. I draw seven cartoons a week which are syndicated to about 20 papers around Puget Sound. My wife, young daughter and I live on the Eastside. We have a sweet old yellow lab, a persnickety old orange cat, and an old Volvo wagon I’d like to drive off a cliff.” (FS2013)


Frank Thompson was an announcer and the news director at KJR from 1969 to 1975. He previously worked in Victoria BC and San Diego. Thompson started in 1957 at the Tijuana frequency “Mighty 690” operating out of San Diego, From there, he moved to other stations in San Diego and Los Angeles before moving to KJR. After KJR, he spent a decade at CKLG, Vancouver Frank was an author, a history buff, and poet. He died in August 2012, age 85.

Fred Brott, or Francis J. Brott, was a genuine pioneer in Seattle radio and TV. He was “Seattle’s first radio announcer,” according to an obituary in 1955. He also telecasted Seattle’s first television pictures (from his home), well before there were TV sets. He obtained an amateur radio license in 1915, was the announcer on experimental 7AD in 1920, and was “first to broadcast recorded music” June 3, 1929. Brott built five of the original transmitters in the Pacific Northwest and he owned two early Seattle stations, KFIY and KGCL Brott was chief engineer for KOMO Radio when it was organized in 1926. He became engineering director for both the radio and television stations in 1952. He died May 12, 1955, at age 64. (KOMO1955)

Fred Miles [KITZ]

Fred Ross–Newsman at KTAC and KOMW

Fred Zaehler has worked in Pacific Northwest Music Promotion

Freddie Mertz

Freddie Williams [KBRD weekends]

Frosty Fowler has passed away at age 96 at his home in Poulsbo with his wife Sue at his side, April 2019. (See the many posts about Frosty here at PugetSound.Media, search FROSTY FOWLER